Revised School Year Calendars
Wed, 19 Mar, 2014
The 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 school year calendars for Edmonton Public Schools have changed. Working with the Alberta Teachers' Association (ATA), the District has revised the calendars as part of a pilot project to enhance teachers’ skills to help support student success. Over the next two school years, there will be more professional development (PD) days for teachers and one more day in lieu for time they have invested in parent-teacher conferences. Although students will have a few extra days off, they will still receive the same amount of instructional time due to slightly longer school days.
- Five district-wide PD days – instead of individual schools setting PD days, all schools will have five PD days throughout the year on the same day (that’s a change from three PD days)
- Two days-in-lieu for teachers, resulting in:
- 2014-2015: A five-day weekend from November 7-11 (Remembrance Day) and an extended weekend beginning on Friday, May 15, 2015
- 2015-2016: A five-day weekend over the May long weekend (with Thursday, May 19 and Friday, May 20 off)
- Slightly longer school days – school days may be longer by five to eight minutes for the next two years to allow for two extra PD days and one more day in lieu for teachers
- In 2014-2015, school will run from Tuesday, September 2, 2014 – Friday, June 26, 2015
- In 2015-2016, school will run from Tuesday, September 8, 2015 – Thursday, June 30, 2016
REVISED CALENDAR BENEFITS
For parents and students
- All students will be off school on the same days.
- School days off are now scheduled for the next two school years, giving parents time to plan for childcare, transportation and recreation or educational programs.
- Teachers across the District can meet to share their best teaching ideas, knowledge and expertise.
- Two extra PD days each year to further enrich teachers’ skills and abilities.
To plan for the coming years, view the printable revised calendars for 2014-2015 and 2015-2016.