Liability Insurance for Volunteer Drivers
Topic: Liability Insurance for Volunteer Drivers
Issue Date: 25/06/2008
Effective Date: 24/06/2008
Review Year: 2013
- Liability insurance protection is provided under the board's comprehensive general liability insurance policy for authorized volunteer drivers transporting students in privately-owned vehicles on a school activity.
- Coverage shall apply only to that portion of an award for damages in excess of liability coverage of a volunteer driver's private insurance.
- Volunteer drivers shall hold an Operator's License appropriate for the vehicles involved.
- The Principal shall be responsible for the authorization of volunteer drivers and shall ensure that each volunteer driver has completed a "Volunteer Driver Declaration" form.
- By completing and signing the "Volunteer Driver Declaration" form, the volunteer driver shall:
- carry a minimum of $1 million personal liability and personal indemnity insurance coverage and consult with his or her own insurance company before undertaking to transport students;
- abide by the requirements of all applicable laws;
- report to the school principal all accidents and any suspensions of his or her licence or change in insurance status which may occur after the date of the declaration and;
- where applicable, obtain the permission of the vehicle's owner.
- Prior to volunteer drivers transporting students in privately owned vehicles, the principal shall obtain written parental consent for the student passengers. The Principal shall also obtain written parental consent for drivers under 18 years of age.
GICA.AR Field TripsSchool Act
(please see Section 1(1)(m)-Independent Students of the School Act)