Literacy is more than just knowing how to read and write—it’s about making sense of the information you see. For students requiring academic support, Literacy programming helps them develop the skills and abilities to achieve in all subject areas.
- Build literacy skills in a broader sense—understanding information in the form of words, symbols, numbers, patterns, pictures, graphs and more
- Improved ability to read, interpret, comprehend, analyze and express meaning
- Improved ability to understand and solve math concepts
- Applying different ways of studying, remembering and organizing information
- Positive attitudes towards learning and improved self-esteem
- Focus on literacy and math instruction
- Visual aids, specific examples and hands-on activities
- Smaller classes for more targeted instruction
- Opportunities to join other classes for instruction in a student’s area of strength
Students must be in Grades 4 to 9 and meet eligibility requirements. Contact your child’s school for eligibility and special education programming options.
All Edmonton Public Schools programming is based on curriculum determined by Alberta Education. Students enrolled in Literacy will receive the same high-quality education offered in all of our programs.
Most schools offering special education programming have some yellow busing options available. For more information about busing, contact your child’s school or call Student Transportation at 780-429-8585.