Interactions programming supports students with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). ASD impacts how people understand what they see, hear and sense. This lifelong disability can result in difficulties in communication, social relationships, behaviour or learning. Although some students with ASD achieve at grade level, many have uneven or delayed achievement.
- Improve communication, social interaction and behaviour while developing academic skills
- Demonstrate growth in communication skills
- Demonstrate growth in building and maintaining relationships, and understanding social situations
- Demonstrate growth in managing frustration and problem-solving
- Improved ability to handle change or challenging emotions (e.g., anxiety)
- Development of life skills to support independent living and employment
- Structured environment with regular routines
- Smaller classes for more targeted instruction
- Visual aids, concrete examples and hands-on activities
- Frequent praise and other meaningful rewards to help students adopt positive behaviours and attitudes
- Opportunities to join other classes for instruction in a student’s areas of strength
To be eligible for programming, students must be:
- 5 ½ to 19 years old on September 1
- Clinically diagnosed with ASD
- Demonstrating stereotyped behaviours, and have severe impairment in social interactions and communication
Contact your child’s school for information about eligibility and special education programming options.
All Edmonton Public Schools programming is based on curriculum determined by Alberta Education. Students enrolled in Interactions will receive the same high-quality education offered in all of our programs.
Most schools offering special education programming have some yellow busing options available. For more information about busing, contact your child’s school or call Student Transportation at 780-429-8585.
Junior High 2020-21
6415 106 Street NW
7055 132 Avenue NW
1434 80 Street NW
10534 62 Street NW
13815 Cumberland Road NW
14313 92 Avenue NW
13215 113A Street NW
1750 Mill Woods Road East NW