Disposal of Materials, Equipment and Furniture Resulting from School Closure or Program Consolidation
Following a decision by board to close a school or a program, the Principal and Purchasing and Contract Services prepare inventories of materials, equipment and furniture, and arrange for their disposal in accordance with the following procedures:
- The Principal shall identify surplus materials, equipment and furniture no longer required to provide program delivery to students.
- Purchasing and Contract Services shall contact the Principal to review procedures, timelines and extent of assistance required to prepare inventories.
- Itemized inventories shall be prepared for career and technologies studies equipment, furniture, office equipment, and learning resource materials. Equipment purchased with community funds should be itemized separately.
- Purchasing and Contract Services shall submit an itemized inventory list of all materials, equipment and furniture to the Principal and to the receiving schools (schools designated as receiving school for students following closure of a school or program).
- Designated receiving schools shall have first opportunity to indicate:
- the need for any community purchased equipment;
- the need for any additional materials, equipment and furniture required to provide program delivery for incoming students. The materials and equipment shall be supplied at no charge to the receiving school. Any costs for the transportation of materials and equipment shall be the responsibility of the receiving school.
- Purchasing and Contract Services shall recommend to the Principal, the division of the materials, equipment and furniture requested by designated receiving schools based on program need and the ratio of incoming students.
- Purchasing and Contract Services shall ensure that the materials, equipment or furniture are redistributed to schools in accordance with the principal's directions.
- Purchasing and Contract Services shall assign a resale value to all remaining materials, equipment and furniture, and advertise the availability of these items to other schools in the district.
- Purchasing and Contract Services shall post electronically under Surplus Assets a list of any remaining learning resource materials to all schools. Schools should submit requests to Purchasing and Contract Services. Requests shall be reviewed by learning resources and honoured on the basis of need.
- All items that are surplus to the need of the District shall be disposed of by Purchasing Services in accordance with Administrative Regulation CW.AR – Purchasing and Disposal.
- Proceeds from the sale of items shall first be applied to the cost of refinishing, repair, or transportation, and second be returned to general revenue.