Alberta High School Diploma
A student must earn at least 100 credits to graduate from high school with an Alberta High School Diploma. Some workplaces or post-secondary institutions may require additional credits and/or specific courses.
Diploma exams are required in English 30-1 and 30-2, Social Studies 30-1 and 30-2, Mathematics 30-1 and 30-2, Biology 30, Chemistry 30, Physics 30, Science 30, Français 30-1 and French Language Arts 30-1. Final marks in these courses represent a blend of school and provincial exam marks.
Talk to your school counsellor for more information about diploma requirements.
DIPLOMA EXAMS FOR 2020-21 SCHOOL YEAR
The provincial government announced a number of changes and new restrictions to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
This means high school students can choose to write a diploma exam or receive an exemption for the April, June and August 2021 exams. Students are encouraged to talk to their family and teachers, and review more information from Alberta Education.
Alberta High School Diploma Requirements
Earn at least 100 credits by taking required courses, plus other courses that interest you and help you achieve your goals.
- English 30-1 or 30-2
- Social Studies 30-1 or 30-2
- Mathematics 20-1 or 20-2 or 20-3
- Science 20 or 24 or Biology 20 or Chemistry 20 or Physics 20*
- Physical Education 10
- Career and Life Management (CALM)
Earn 10 credits, in any combination, from:
- Career and Technology Studies (CTS)
- Fine arts
- Second languages
- Physical Education 20 and/or 30
- Registered Apprenticeship Program (RAP) courses
- Knowledge and Employability courses; and
Earn 10 credits in any 30-level course (in addition to English and Social Studies), in any combination, from:
- 30-level mathematics, science, fine arts, second languages, CTS, or physical education
- 30-level locally developed course (learn more about these course options through your high school)
- 30-level Work Experience
- 30-level Registered Apprenticeship Program (RAP)
- 30-level Knowledge and Employability courses
- Advanced level (3000 series) in CTS courses
- 30-level Green Certificate Specialization courses
- Special Projects 30
*The science requirement may also be met with a 10-credit combination of Science 14 and Science 10.