NEW FAMILY CHOICE DEADLINE: AUGUST 19
Fri, 13 Aug, 2021
Families have until Thursday, August 19 at 4 p.m. to choose online or in-person learning for the first half of the upcoming school year (September-January 2022).
The deadline is being extended now that the Government of Alberta released its back to school health guidance. This new information from the province will inform the Division’s 2021-22 Back to School Plan.
UPDATE: The Division’s 2021-22 Back to School Plan is now available.
BACK TO SCHOOL PLAN
The Division’s 2021-22 Back to School Plan provides detailed information about what school will look like this fall. Our plan focuses on many strategies that work together to keep staff and students as safe as possible.
WEARING MASKS AT SCHOOL
Masks are an important way to mitigate the risk of spreading COVID-19, especially now as Alberta is still working toward all eligible individuals being fully vaccinated and children under 12 cannot yet be vaccinated.
Masks will also enable us to more quickly reintroduce many events that were postponed throughout the pandemic. With the extra level of safety that masks provide, we can reintroduce such things as field trips, volunteers and special in-person events.
To begin the school year, all staff and students in Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 12 will be required to wear a mask.
Other safety strategies for schools include:
- requiring the use of masks for all students and staff
- daily health screening for students and staff before coming to school
- a stay-at-home protocol for those who are sick
- enhanced cleaning and disinfecting in schools and on yellow buses
- encouraging physical distancing where possible
- creating cohorts of students where possible
- hand hygiene requirements for students and staff
- requiring staff or students to isolate if they have core COVID-19 symptoms or test positive for COVID-19
- partnering with Alberta Health to host vaccination clinics in schools
SELECT IN SCHOOLZONE
Sign in to your parent SchoolZone account before 4 p.m. on August 19:
- select Forms from the menu
- choose Family choice for 2021–22
NEW FAMILIES WILL RECEIVE AN EMAIL
Families new to Edmonton Public Schools, such as Kindergarten families, will receive an email notifying them of the second deadline extension. The email will include a unique link families can use to submit their choice.
AFTER THE DEADLINE
After August 19, students cannot move from in-person to online learning. The deadline helps us make decisions about teaching assignments and what resources are needed to support your child’s learning for the first half of the year.
Schools will share more information about what to expect on the first day of school soon.