What to do if your child is sick
Tue, 1 Sep, 2020
As many students return to in-person learning, many families have questions about what to do if their child gets sick.
UPDATE: The Government of Alberta has updated its student illness information sheet to help families understand what steps to take when their child is ill.
Families should carefully review the provincial expectations, which includes information about:
- what to do if a student has COVID-19 symptoms
- when a student must be kept home from school
- when a student is required to self isolate, and more.
The Government of Alberta also recently updated its guidance for school re-entry. We have adjusted parts of our COVID-19 Division Re-entry Strategy in response to those changes. The new information includes:
- students need to bring a clean, breathable bag or container to store reusable masks that have been used or soiled.
- wind instruments may be allowed in band classes that can meet certain physical distancing and other safety requirements.
- if a case of COVID-19 is confirmed in a school community, schools will give detailed information to Alberta Health Services officials for contract tracing purposes.
We are reviewing our COVID-19 Division Re-entry Strategy regularly to update it with the most recent direction and health advice from the province. Learn more about our approach to school re-entry.
Our Division will continue to follow the direction provided by the Government of Alberta and the chief medical officer of health on matters of student illness.